Galaxy Nexus is the first Android smartphone to get Ice Cream Sandwich Update. We have already written a tutorial to root Galaxy Nexus but that would not work with the device running Android 4.0.4 So here is a tutorial to root Galaxy Nexus CDMA on Android 4.0.4 Rooting does not let you gain the full benefits, you might also wish to install Custom ROMs running Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy Nexus. In that case, you need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. This post will also explain how to install ClockworkMod Recovery. Make sure you have proper back up of everything before you proceed.
- Before you root any phone, it is always advisable to take a back up of your phone’s data. Backing up your contacts is easy and you can back up all your contacts to your phone’s SD Card.
- To back up your applications, I recommend you to use ASTRO File Manager which also allows cloud storage.
- Make sure your phone’s batter has a minimum of 60% charge.
- Android SDK Installed.
- Enable USB Debugging. To do this, go to Settings>Applications>Development and make sure USB Debugging is checked.
- Latest Samsung driver’s.
Disclaimer: BlogoTech is not responsible for any damage that might be caused to your device during this process though the possibility of any damage is negligible. Try this at your own risk. Also note, rooting your phone will void your warranty.
Steps to Root & Install ClockworkMod Recovery
- Download su Zip Package
- Download CWM Recovery Image
- Assuming that you have Android SDK installed, move the ClockworkMod Recovery Image to the platform-tools folder where adb.exe and fastboot.exe are located.
- Now Connect your phone to the PC having USB Debugging enabled.
- Copy the su.zip file to the root of your SD card. By root of your SD card, I mean the SD card itself and not within any folder. This makes locating the zip file easy while you are in recovery mode.
- Open Command Prompt in your PC and type the following commands:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-toro.img
- Now you should use your Volume Buttons to Navigate and Power button to select.
- Using the Volume Buttons select “Recovery Mode” and press the power button while it is highlighted.
- This should boot your device into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- In CWM Recovery, select “Install zip from SD card”>”Choose zip from SD card” and select the su.zip you had moved to the root of your sd card in Step 5.
- Confirm in the next step and flash the file.
- Go back and select “Reboot system now”.